A comprehensive dental exam
Performed by your Vancouver Dentist: Dr Stulz or Dr Vu at your initial dental visit.
At regular check-up exams, your Vancouver dentist and the hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. Every patient’s frequency of dental X-rays depends on their risk of decay. This assessment is important to avoid excess and unnecessary radiation exposure.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, et cetera.
Get the answers to your questions
Let Your Vancouver Dentist Help You Meet Your Dental Needs
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. You will be seeing either Mary, Nathalie or Nicole – all of whom are extremely gentle and thorough in what they do.
Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
• Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
• Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease! Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.